During the holidays there is nothing quite like the fresh and clean feeling you get after sprucing up your bathroom. It’s that feeling you get from the scent of new linens hanging by the sink or the look of fresh paint on the walls. Imagine the feeling of stepping into a new shower or tub without seeing old, dull and worn tile. It’s the feeling that comes from seeing “New” where before there was just Old.
Okay, so buying holiday towels and scented soap is no big deal and I suppose throwing up a coat of paint is not too hard either, but it’s the holidays, who has time to put in a new tub or shower? Creating that New feeling does not have to be complicated, expensive or time consuming. Not when you consider that acrylic bath systems are much less expensive then gutting a bathroom and can be done in as little as one day.
Now, aside from towels and paint what can you do DIY that will give you at least a little of the fresh and clean feeling that comes from when you install something new the bathroom? There are a number of projects you can do in just about an hour, over a weekend or in a few days. I’ve listed what I think are the top 5.
Top 5 Quick Bathroom Updates:
5. Change the hardware. Replacing the sink faucet, towel bars toilet handle and cabinet knobs and hinges draws the eye toward the new and shiny and away from worn tile or walls.
4. Install a new medicine cabinet. Many home stores carry what I call plug and play medicine cabinets to install over the sink. Simply remove the old one, measure the opening and by another to match.
3. If you are a glutton for punishment, tenacious and a stickler to detail, try cleaning or replacing the grout on your floors and walls. Cleaning can be done with a toothbrush, a diluted mixture of TSP (tri sodium phosphate) and bleach, and a whole lot of elbow grease. Say away from wire brushes because you don;t want to remove the grout, just clean it.
If scrubbing is not your thing, go one step further and use a grout tool to scrape out each grout line. Refill the tile lines with fresh grout and wipe clean.
The cleaned or replaced grout lines will highlight the newness of the room and give you that fresh clean feeling. Your going to need it after that job!
2. Replace the sink, cabinet, toilet or all three. All three projects can be done in a day or a weekend and will pretty much “make new” a good part of your bathroom. Since you won’t be doing any plumbing, replacing these items is a DIY standard.
1. And the #1 way to get that fresh clean feeling? Acrylic bath systems. OK, not surprising considering our blog site and installing an acrylic bath system is not really a DIY project but it is the best way your bathroom can get that complete fresh and clean feeling. It’s not simply my opinion. Check out our testimonials to see how our acrylic bath systems can wow you with New!
I know this is a DIY post so think of it this way: if you click here to get a free in home estimate, we’ll come out and show you how much time you will save with our acrylic bath systems, time you DIYers can use to tackle some of the other quick bathroom update suggestions.