When updating or renovating your bathroom you’ll need to decide whether to install a shower door or a shower curtain. They both have many advantages and disadvantages, but which is the better choice? Let’s explore both sides and hopefully find the best fit for your bathroom.
First let’s talk about the benefits of a shower curtain…
- They are well known for protecting your floors and outside walls from water spray.
- If you change the décor in your bathroom you can easily change the color or pattern of your shower curtain at an affordable price.
- Installing a crescent rod with your shower curtain is an easy way to make your bathroom look more stylish, while also allowing more elbow room.
- Shower curtains are very easy to replace and can be purchased at almost any home store.
Now for the disadvantages of using shower curtains…
- Most all shower curtains are made up of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) which is known for causing headaches and other problems.
- Shower curtains have a tendency to get in your way while taking a shower and can cause great aggravation.
- Although they can be easily replaced, they get dirty and moldy within a couple months causing you to constantly change and clean the shower curtain which both can be very time consuming. If not cleaned and replaced regularly, dirt and mold becomes very visible.
- Shower curtains can rip and tear easily off shower rings, again causing constant replacement.
Now that you know a little more about shower curtains, let’s go over some advantages and disadvantages of shower doors.
Advantages of shower doors…
- Shower doors provide a water tight showering area that prevents water from seeping out and making a mess on the bathroom floor.
- They are easily maintained and can be cleaned simply by wiping the area with a desired glass cleaner (without the promotion of mold and mildew).
- Shower doors are much more modern than curtains and come in many different options and designed.
- They offer a light and spacious look to your bathroom and rarely require replacement.
Now for the disadvantages of shower doors…
- Bathroom shower doors can be quite expensive.
- Scum buildup can be quite common around the tracks and edges of doors if not maintained properly.
- Some people can feel claustrophobic in such a small enclosed area.
- Shower doors cannot be replaced as often as curtains so be sure to choose wisely.
Shower curtains/doors are a reflection of your style and are the focal point in any bathroom so choosing the right enclosure for you is very important.